Our office provides professional assistance and guidance to meet the needs of individuals in the process of receiving P-1 Visas from the immigration authorities. P-1 Visas are issued to persons who perform as an athlete individually or as part of a group or team that is “internationally recognized.”
The standard of internationally recognized athlete means “a high level of achievement” as supported by evidence that the player possesses “a degree of skill and recognition substantially above that ordinarily encountered” and that such talents are well known within his or her sport in more than one country. A petition (Form I-129, Petition for Non-immigrant Worker) must be filed with the immigration service, either by a U.S. employer or by a U.S sponsor and/or established U.S. agent, within the 6-month period prior to the rendering of professional services in the United States, though premium processing may also be available under certain circumstances.
REQUIREMENTS OF A P-1 NON-IMMIGRANT VISA PETITION
A petition for a P-1 athlete shall include the following documentation:
1.) Copy of tendered contract with a major United States sports league or team
2.) Documentation of at least two of the following:
- Evidence of having participated to a significant extent in a prior season with a major United States sports league;
- Evidence of having participated in international competition with a national team;
- Evidence of having participated to a significant extent is a prior season for a U.S. college or university in intercollegiate competition;
- A written statement from an official of a major U.S. sports league or an official of the governing body of the sport which details how the alien or team is internationally recognized;
- A written statement from a member of the sports media or a recognized expert in the sport which details how the alien or team in internationally recognized.
- Evidence that the individual or team is ranked if the sport has international rankings; or
- Evidence that the alien or team has received a significant honor or award in the sport.
ASSISTANCE WITH P-1 PETITIONS
While the processes entailed in preparing a P-1 petition can initially seem intimidating, our office is well qualified to guide you throughout. We will assist with each step of the process, from document collection to scheduling and preparing for the visa appointment. In a time where P-1 visa petitions seem to be increasingly denied by immigration services, our office will utilize its experience in helping you maximize the chances of approval and move the process along as swiftly and quickly as possible.
It is important to have trusted counsel on your side that is capable of devising solutions that meet your needs. Please call our office if you are interested in speaking with an attorney about the filing of a non-immigrant visa petition.